Why? What? When? My English Channel Q&A

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Just another Saturday morning in Source...

Dean managed to do his long run last night - he's training for Cork City Marathon so I managed to be at Source for 7.30am as it opened. (Amazing how a 7.30 start is a total lie-in nowadays!) I had planned a swim on my lone-e-ownsome, but was delighted to see fellow channel aspirants Carmel Collins and Jennifer Lane and joined in with them for their 12km session. As it turned out we were but three of SIX 2012 aspirants who happenned to be swimming in Source this morning - as well as CiarĂ¡n Byrne, part of 2010's "magnificient seven" channel aspirants training with Eilis. It got me wondering - would there be any other pool in the world where you'd randomly bump into so many channel swimmers/ aspirants of a morning?




Mind you Source Pool really is one-in-a-million. Last week, I took a half day as I needed to catch up on metres and knew the pool would be quiet enough. In a serendipitious moment of good timing, I managed to share a lane with the one and only Dougie Howlett - easily the second best looking man to come out of New Zealand! I mostly kept swimming to stop myself from saying anything really stupid. But let's just say I always breathed to Dougies side!!!

2 comments:

  1. Source is extraordinary for that isn't it? They really need to get the Channel map back on the wall with all the previous routes, ready for all yours to be added this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i thought an aspirant was something you took when you had a pain in your head?! 12km!! ok - time to re-evaluate my attempted self back slapping last week after completing 1 full length!! 12km....!
    p.s. I hope dougie wears a swimming cap!! ha ha

    ReplyDelete