It has been the strangest of weeks. Losing a friend in tragic circumstances is hard to come to grips with. Spending this week with swimming friends was, for me, a fitting tribute to a wonderful man.
On Saturday, at Páraic’s requiem Mass at St Columba’s Church in Douglas, Cork, chief celebrant, Fr Tom Hayes, said of his visible passion for life
"It is not how long we live. It is what we do with the time we have. Páraic had a deep appreciation of that as he undertook his diligent, extraordinary preparation for his swim. Riana (his wife) has a nice word to sum up how he approached it. She said he had ‘passion.’ As Páraic noted in his blog one day "Nothing great is easy."
I have thought a lot about Paraic this week. I have also thought about what's important in life - family and friends, and as above "it's what we do with the time we have". So, I am going to Dover to swim the English Channel.
No comments:
Post a Comment