Why? What? When? My English Channel Q&A

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Channel Swimming in photos

Why am I training for the English Channel?

Reason 1: To involve Oscar and Noah in something and show them that if you work hard for something, and make some hard choices, anything is possible. Mostly I want them to think I'm cool! They start school in September so with all the driving etc that that will involve my choices were now or maybe 2020.

Reason 2: For myself. I wanted to pick something that was almost impossible, something that I would have to commit wholeheartedly to, and that would challenge me to my limits and beyond. But mainly because I liked the swimsuits.


Reason 3: To hang out with some really really cool people. Thanks to Riana Parsons for these images, taken last Wednesday before 4 aspirants headed to Dover for their slot. I have been trained with, been helped and cheered up by them all. I have been inspired, eaten, cried and laughed with these people. Mostly all four in one Sandycove swim.
Reason 4: To enjoy the journey.
Will I reach France? No idea. The weather, tide, temperature are just some of the things this type A control freak has accepted are beyond her control. And that is okay!
I'm enjoying meeting new friends and swimming with old ones, liking my body for what it can do, not what it looks like, enjoying this crappy weather by swimming in rain and mist. Swimming IN a wave as Oscar described it with glee.
And of course, post swim hot chocolate complete with marshmallows and sprinkles.

No comments:

Post a Comment